During our practice we have served versatile consulting to foundations, public funds, corporations and individual investors.

Recognition of a foreign diploma

 A foreign diploma may be treated as equivalent to a Polish diploma on the basis of an international agreement specifying equivalence, and in the absence of such an international agreement - through the recognition procedure.

 First of all, it is necessary to check whether an international agreement has been concluded between Poland and the country of origin of the diploma and what types of documents this agreement concerns. For example, in the case of Ukraine, an agreement is currently in force between the Government of the Republic of Poland and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on mutual academic recognition of documents on education and the equivalence of degrees, signed on April 11, 2005 (entered into force on June 20, 2006), which guarantees persons who have obtained education in one of the states - parties to this agreement, possibility of continuing education in institutions of the other state. This is known as academic recognition. This means that if a foreigners want to continue their education in Poland and study at a Polish university, when enrolling in bachelor’s studies, they may submit a Ukrainian secondary school leaving certificate and this certificate will be treated as equivalent to the Polish one. It is similar in the case of participation in recruitment for master's studies, when a foreigner submits a foreign bachelor's degree. Only the apostille clause is required. It is worth noting that in the case of secondary school leaving certificates in other countries, more formalities may be required, therefore each case should be considered individually.

In the case of university graduates, the equivalence of diplomas and academic degrees obtained in Ukraine after June 20, 2006, as well as the diplomas of a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, nurse, midwife, veterinarian and architect, regardless of the date of their issuance, is possible only after conducting the diploma recognition. Recognition is made by faculty councils of Polish universities, educating students in the area covering the relevant field of study and entitled to award a similar academic degree in Poland.

First of all, you should find a suitable university in Poland. Such a university should have the A +, A or B + academic category, and also have the right to award a doctoral degree in the academic discipline to which the foreign diploma applies. The list of universities and the categories assigned to them is available on the website of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.

A graduate of a foreign university who wants to recognize a diploma should submit an application for recognition along with a graduation diploma and documents enabling the assessment of the course of studies, learning outcomes and duration of studies, as well as a certificate, diploma or other document on the basis of which it was accepted to study. Documents should be translated into Polish. A fee is charged for the recognition procedure, the amount of which may be determined differently by each university, but according to the regulations, it may not exceed 50% of the professor's remuneration. As a rule, the fee is paid only after the initial assessment of all documents by the recognition committee and the decision to initiate the recognition procedure.

On the basis of the submitted documents, the university compares the study program, the obtained learning outcomes and professional qualifications, apprenticeships and duration of studies with the program of similar studies conducted at a Polish university. In the event of finding differences in the study program, learning outcomes or duration of studies, the certifying university may oblige the graduate to pass specific exams or complete additional apprenticeships. Information on the occurrence of differences in the study program, together with an explanation of what they consist of, should be provided in writing.

The university recognizes or refuses to recognize the diploma of completing studies abroad as equivalent to the appropriate Polish diploma and professional title within 90 days from the date of submitting the application. Periods set for the submission of the translation of documents and the submission of exams or internships are not included in this deadline. The university may also refuse to initiate the recognition procedure, for example, in the event that it isn’t competent to conduct the procedure.